- 3-5 days
- Product Code:
- HEALTH MATTERS NUTS AND FRUIT:PRUNES 250G
- Health Matters
Prunes, or dried plums, contain fibre, and a type of alcohol sugar called sorbitol that can loosen the stool and a natural laxative compound called diphenyl isatin. Beyond the benefits to your digestive tract, and the fact they offer a sweet bite for only 30 calories.
Although they certainly don't make the top 10 sexiest dried fruit list, here are 5 reasons to make prunes part of your diet:
- Protect against diseases like cancer - plums and prunes not only protect the brain from free radical damage but can also help to prevent chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease and cancer. Prunes and plums contain high levels of phytonutrients called phenols. They are particularly high in two unique phytonutrients called neochlorogenic and chlorogenic acid.
- Help prevent type 2 diabetes and obesity - prunes and plums are high in soluble fibre which helps stabilise blood sugar levels. This soluble fibre slows the rate at which food leaves the stomach and thus delays the absorption of sugar into the blood stream. Soluble fibre also increases the body’s sensitivity to insulin. Soluble fibre also helps to make you feel satisfied after eating which can prevent overeating and subsequent weight gain.
- Help to lower cholesterol -soluble fibre also helps to lower cholesterol by soaking up excess bile in the intestine and then excreting it. Soluble fibre may also inhibit the amount of cholesterol manufactured by the liver in the first place.
- Improved bone health and reduced risk of osteoporosis - recent studies show that prunes and plums are the most effective fruit in preventing and reversing bone loss due to rich sources of phenoic and flavonoid compounds.
- Good source of vitamin C - the high amounts of vitamin C in plums/prunes also help build immunity and help the body form collagen which supports strong, healthy tissue.